Monday, August 31, 2009

Show: School House Rock Live

• Offeded by House Seats
Stage Door Theater @ Town Square
• 11AM & 2PM on Saturdays

First let me state that I know I am biased. I grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons and learned many things from School House Rock. I have many fond memories about the animated shorts and the musical lessons that were imparted. With that in mind, I knew my review of the performance would be extreme in one direction or another. In this case I have to state that I loved it.

Great American Theatricals brought to life my childhood memories in a way I did could believe possible. Using the psychological construct of inner voices, the cast lulled the fears of a new teacher fearing the first day of class. They reminded her, and the audience that learning is an experience that can be fun.

I admit I was singing along with most of the songs like a child mesmerized by the images of his favorite TV show. I laughed, because of the silly humor. I cried because it jerked memories of innocent play back into my soul. I also noticed, although the audience was primarily children, the adults in the audience were just as taken in as I was. Aren’t rose colored glasses amazing?

My only complaint is that they did not microphone the cast. For most songs it did not matter, but for some it made it very difficult to hear the lead performer. I'm not sure the back of the house got a very favorable experience.

The regular prices for tickets are $8 for Students / $14 for Adults. This is a bargain for the experience.

Oh well. Take your kids and/or take yourself to a worthwhile show.

No comments:

Post a Comment